Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bundt Cake and Setbacks

My milk is gone today. Which is a relief but also makes me inexpressibly sad. As my stomach begins to fade and the milk dries, I find I just can't shake the feeling that all the little pieces of her are disappearing.

She was just like a shooting star, and then I blinked and she was gone. I keep all of the things she wore and touched at the hospital in a little memory box, inside a zip lock bag. Her little preemie sleeper smells so much like her and sometimes I feel like that's all I have left. Her sweet little smell.

The funny thing is, it isn't all that sweet. It mostly smells like the sterile pads they used on her back but for me, that has become the sweetest smell in all the world. Except for her hair. We washed her hair with lavender shampoo so I suppose her hair smelled the best. 

This is the part where people usually chime in with heaven and how we will be with her again, and I know. I know, I know, I know, I know. But that doesn't mean I don't feel terribly sad sometimes.

I'm two weeks out and I find I'm still paralyzed. I am not good with human interaction. Crying is almost as natural as breathing to me. And sometimes it doesn't help when people who know about our situation tilt their heads and get that look in their eyes and say, "How ARE you?"

I'm fine. I'm well. I'm surviving.

It gets a little better every day. And I don't say this because I don't want people to ask how I am and talk to me, it's just hard I guess.

By now, you're probably wondering what Bundt Cakes is doing in the title of this post.

I went to pick up a cake as a thank you present for Kendall's law firm. (He goes back to work Monday) It had been a pretty good day. We went to my little sister's high school musical and out to dinner with my parents, (kid-less! It was nice and quiet and I actually got to eat).

We made a quick stop to pick up the cake. Kendall and I went in and called in our order. Then a lady came at us with free samples and said, "You are going to love this!" Then she proceeded to bend down to my stomach (which is clearly not as faded as I had supposed), and said, "You will too, little one!"

Kendall kind of froze and I just smiled and took the sample. We paid for our order and she said, "Congratulations, honey!"

"Oh, thanks," I said and we left.

I cried the whole way home. Like I said, it's just hard I guess.

*hopefully next post will be the funeral

8 comments:

  1. Wow! As a general rule people should never assume you're pregnant unless they know for sure. Not fun. Right after I had Clara, and before I lost the weight my mom was always asking me if I was pregnant again. Not fun.
    I hope that the sample was good at least!:)
    Miss you!! Love you!
    Come visit me!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, what a beautiful way to express yourself. You are doing a great job at handling all of this, even though I can't see you crying each day. I'm amazed at you and grateful to know you and your beautiful/hard story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing all of your thoughts, the details, and all. You are amazing even though tears seem to be the frequent. You're still always in my thoughts. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is "talking" and all of those pulling for you are "listening" here. And you have time, sweet friend. You've earned a good cry or many. Much love to you, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dumb cake lady! Has she just recently started working with the general public or what?! I can't imagine how you didn't start crying right then. Blah! I don't like that story.
    I'm sorry that you're so sad. But I feel kind of weird saying that. Of course I am sorry that you are sad, but I'm not surprised and I kind of expect it. For a long time. You went through something tragic and it's gonna take a long time to heal.
    I love that you have a little box full of Gracie's things. I love that you can smell her still in her sweet little things.
    You're gonna miss her forever. Even knowing you'll see her again. It doesn't make you stop missing a person.
    You're doing great. You haven't climbed a clock tower and started shooting people yet anyway. :)
    Love you Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you all the time. I'm glad that you're not rushing through your grief, but that you are also able/trying to see life's little miracles. Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The nerve of some people I swear is out of hand. Sorry that the dumb bundt cake was so lame. It dosen't make it any easier. I had one lady at the temple ask me when I was due right after we had Madalynn. Just makes you sad.
    I am so glad that you have things to hold on to. That was really helpful for me too. I too felt like she was fading and that sooner or later I would forget what she looked like, felt like and smelled like. Sso happy that you have some keep sakes to remember her by. Those will be forever cherished. We did plaster paris of Madalynn's feet and hands. Those are in a special shadow box. Everyone knows that if a fire were to break out in our home our kids would be the very first thing to grab and then the shadow box of her would be next. That is all we have left, well her scrapbook of things we have from her also. They are all together.
    With time, healing also comes. It doesn't mean that we forget them, they become a part of us, our family story and they are just waiting for us. I wonder if they are more sad then we are that we are not with them or that they are not with us. I am sure it is the close to the same.
    We think of you constantly. We pray for you. Our boys are praying for you. Even though they have never met you yet, they know what happened and pray that the Lord will bless you to feel better. We send our love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the sadness of watching my stomach go away too, or the bruises on arms going away from where the I.V.s once were, the things that I didn't want to go away for fear that I would forget it all happened. And then having the nurse at my "post delivery appointment" accidentally ask me if had felt the baby move (totally unaware that I had lost the baby) and me wanting to initially hit her in the face but then feeling like I had to comfort her as I saw how bad she felt for the misunderstanding. It sucked. I know we had completely different experiences, but I can remember feeling somewhat of how your describling things. It's super hard.

    ReplyDelete