Sunday, December 11, 2011

Santa's Beard of Doom

December is flying by isn't it? My boys have a Santa face minus the beard and each day that glue on a cotton ball so by Christmas he will have a beard. They love it.

As each day passes and we glue on cotton balls or rip links off our paper chain or turn our countdown blocks (yes we like counting down apparently) I am feeling more and more apprehensive because Christmas ending means Gracie coming and the end of the pregnancy and we all know what that means.

In some ways it will be a relief to be done, in others it is terrifying to think of.

Surprisingly and unsurprisingly we still have lots of doctor's appointments. This week we are actually getting a second cardiac opinion which I think will really (and hopefully) help us feel settled. The first cardiologist says it's open heart surgery or nothing which we know we don't want to do.

This other cardiologist says he isn't sure it needs to be open heart and we could possibly do a balloon procedure. (which is just up through the thigh). We will have a fetal echo just to see the heart. We've filled our deductible for this year so I guess I am just like what they hay? Bring on the "free" expensive procedures.

We are really just feeling our way through the dark. We are kind of an anomaly in that there are no other cases of live Trisomy 9 births to date other than the 80's. (which in medical world is like a million years ago). So any decisions we make or things we do are guesses at best. All of the doctors shrug their shoulders and scratch their heads.

It's all very reassuring.

Hope for the best. Plan for the worst. I guess that's where we are. What else is there to do?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Em, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. I don't really know what to say, but I think of you often and like to hear updates on Gracie. I hope you and your sweet boys have a wonderful Christmas, and that the spirit of the season brings you peace as you anticipate Gracie's birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing an amazing job being a good mom to your three, sweet boys...considering just what you are having to think about and consider...three separate ways to count down/up to Christmas! Lucky boys! :)

    I think of you every day and you are always in my prayers. I wish I were there to give you a great big hug...and I'm not even a touchy person. ;)

    May your heart and mind be filled with peace and may those darn doctors become instantly enlightened and know just what to say.

    Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about this a lot lately, about how excited you guys must be for Christmas, yet apprehensive about what follows. What a special, yet delicate time for you all. How awesome that the first Presidency will be praying for her this week, that must be a nice feeling. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete