Monday, March 19, 2012

People Who Don't Know

My phone just rang from our bank's fraud prevention department because I just paid all the medical bills. Guess it's good to know they are aware.

I was on the phone with our insurance for a while and they were so confused about billing and neo natal services and we finally whittled it down. She said she was going to have to forward me to something something management. Apparently at least at this hospital, as long as your baby leaves with you their costs just go on your bill. If they stay in the NICU then they get their own bill.

It was really frustrating because I kept getting put on hold and shuffled and I would try to cut in and explain and then some obnoxious music would cut me off.  I don't know why there was such great confusion but there was.
And the lady was finally like "How long was your baby in the hospital after you left?"

And I said, "She wasn't."

And she said, "It has her listed her as having been in the NICU with blah blah blah staff."

And I said, "She did have a NICU nurse but she died so really, she left before I left."

Silence.

Shuts them up every time.

And it's weird. Because most of the time I am so grateful to come across people who don't know. I don't have to talk about her. I don't have the identity of girl-who-lost-her-baby. And then sometimes I just have this inexpressible urge for people to know.

Like the guy at the tire shop or a random lady I'm chatting with at the park. Or on a plane.

Which brings me to another story.

I recently went to Utah to visit one of my best friends for a little down time.

On the flight there, there was a woman sitting next to me and we made small talk for a second and then I got out my book and she reclined to sleep. I looked down at my locket that has pictures of Gracie in it and I turned to her and said, "Can I ask you a weird question?"

She said, ".......Yes"

me "You asked me just now how many kids I had and I said three boys. I actually had a little girl too, but I didn't mention her because she died.  But what I am always wondering is would you, as an objective stranger feel uncomfortable if I had said that or would you be fine? I just don't know what to say to people."

By her expression think I pretty much shocked her pants off.

"No, it's fine. It's sad, but I don't mind that you told me."

I told her a little of the story and showed her the pictures in my locket and then said thanks and went back to reading.

And then she starts crying. I mean crying. For like ten minutes. I apologized and she said, "no, no it's fine it's just touching and a little sad"

So. What do I learn from this? Maybe don't mention her??? Or maybe don't break out the pictures? I really don't know. But most of all I think I learned that there are still so many good caring people in this world and I'm really touched that she, a total stranger, would cry for me and my baby.

And to all of you readers who have cried with me too, friends and strangers a like, I'm so so grateful for you too.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe that lady! And the people sitting across the aisle from you?! Seriously? Miss you miss you miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we don't know each other well. I have been reading your blog for a while now. It is very sweet and touching and so heartaching. When my husband was 6 he lost his 2 year old brother. My mother-in-law says her biggest fear is that he would be forgotten. She worried for no reason at all. My son as well as 2 of his cousins have been named after him. He was a guardian angel for my husband during those very hard teenage years. And anytime there is a family gathering he is spoken of. And she always includes him in her number count to strangers. Because just like your Gracie, Joseph is still hers because of temple covenants. Sometimes she includes him in numbers only and sometimes she explains he passed away. Although I never met him, I feel as though I will know him when I meet him someday. He influenced all of his family, though his time was so short, and my husband is who he is because of his little brother. Gracie has changed your family forever, because she is part of your forever family. Hugs from me, and any other acquaintence, or stranger, who can do nothing more than cry for you!

    ReplyDelete